Here are some resources for people who are interested in reading more and learning more about Yoga, from Mara.
Yoga for Beginners
- For an asana-based practice – “Yoga: the basics” by Cherry Ray.
- For a Deeper Dive (and a book that you’ll come back to throughout your life) – “Stretch Your Mind and Body with Yoga” by Amoona Metcalf.
For the Practiced Yogi
- “Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. A very thorough overview of yogic practice for those who really want their home practices to develop.
- “A Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. A literal workbook for those who are keen to build and develop a structured, well-researched practice that, if followed, well lead to significant and tangible results.
- “Tantra for Westerners: A practical guide to the Way of Action” by Francis King. A book that assists in the combination of Tantric practices with Western Occult practices (including Kabbalah). It’s quite helpful in connecting the dots between Western systems and the origins of their practices – great for a historical understanding of Tantric practice in the West.
- “Tantra: The Path of Ecstasy” by Georg Feurstein. A hugely informative book (like all of Georg’s works) that delves fairly deeply into the true Tantra and explains the ins and outs of the practice. There is A LOT for the Western magickal practitioner to unpack and apply, as well as origin of many practices you might be familiar with.
Books by Swami Venkatesananda
- “Yoga” by Swami Venkatesananda – lots of pictures and explanations about different poses and what they do.
- “Insights and Inspirations: Venkatesa Daily Readings” (Volumes I &II). Pub: Chiltern Yoga Trust (Australia). Wisdom, discussions and talks given by Swamiji throughout his teaching life.
- Sooooo many more! Honestly, Swami Venkatesananda was recorded prolifically so there are many books of his teachings if you’re interested.
As for YouTube… try a few out and see what takes your fancy!
In this episode, we discuss a range of topics including ‘plastic’ witches, the #saynotoplasticwitchcraft hashtag, aesthetic and insta witches, witchy subscription boxes, social bubbles, plastic water bottles, environmental activism, being woke snowflakes, veganism, personal responsibility, and gatekeeping. As always, we welcome your feedback! Email us at sacredradicals AT gmail DOT com, and send us your questions, fact checking, thought bubbles, or suggestions for future episodes! We’ll be recording more in 2020 and we’d love to hear from you.
Download Episode 8 – Plastic Witchcraft
We’re back! In this episode, Mara shares her Yoga practice and how it intersects with her journey as a Witch. What is Yoga? Is it all just bending like a pretzel and Instagram-worthy poses by a cliffside – or is there more to it than that? We also discuss where we went in 2019, chakras, tantra, cultural appropriation, Yoga with Adriene, Hinduism and more.
We will be posting with a regular schedule in 2020, but we’re going to hit you with a bunch of episodes first! As always we welcome your feedback. Email us at sacredradicals AT gmail DOT come to let us know what you think.
You can directly download by clicking on the link below, or look us up on iTunes or Spotify and listen there.
Download Episode 7 – Yoga and Witchcraft
Eris and Mara return in 2019 by discussing their adventures of recent past. And they have much to share! The witches talk about running a public ritual for a national conference, trying and failing to start a new coven, using Qigong to clear energetic channels, going interstate to attend a Reclaiming Witchcamp for the first time, visiting the witchy shops of Melbourne, looking for signs from Spirit, making big personal changes, and joining a new group as a seeker. Yes, it’s action packed and heartfelt, and we don’t hold anything back – as usual!
Got questions, comments, or ideas for future episodes? We’re all ears! Contact us at sacredradicals AT gmail DOT com and let us know what you think.
Download Episode 6 – Big Change, Adventures and New Beginnings
We’re back! In this cast we discuss how we celebrate and observe Samhain, the witchiest time of year. We touch on ANZAC Day, and what that might mean for Samhain and for pagans. We also discuss Ancestor work in relation to our spiritual practice, and go into depth on what incorporating veneration of the Beloved Dead and our Ancestors involves. We hope you enjoy listening to what we think is probably our best episode so far!
Download Episode 5 – Samhain and Ancestors
In this episode, we attempt to cover the wide topic of solitary vs. group practice. What are the differences, benefits and advantages of working alone versus finding like-minded souls to share your experiences with? We talk about our ideas on finding a group, different group structures, and carving out a solitary practice.
It was HOT in the studio when we recorded this! So apologies for that, it melted our brains somewhat at times.
Pagan Awareness Network’s brochure on safety in the circle: http://www.paganawareness.net.au/get-informed/publications/safety-in-the-circle/
Download Episode 4 – Solitary and Group Practice
Happy New Year! This episode we tackle the tricky and slightly heavy subject of burnout – in particular, spiritual burnout. What is burnout? What can cause it?
Download Episode 3 – Spiritual Burnout
We recount moments of doubt, cracks in self-esteem and ego, times when we’ve been burning the candle too brightly or have been overcome by cynicism, and times when extrinsic forces have sought to thwart our spiritual journey as witches and pagans. How did we tackle it, and what are some strategies to get re-energised? How do we exit witchy ruts and return more sparkly than before? We answer all these questions and more.
Our second episode is now live! Download below:
Download Episode 2 – Summer Solstice & Pagan Christmas
In this episode, we are back to discuss ‘that wonderful time of year’ – Christmas! What does it mean to be pagan, and to live in the Southern Hemisphere around Christmas time? How do we observe the Summer Solstice and deal with the craziness that is the silly season? We also chat about dealing with family, honouring our elders, and we talk about the topic of death. Yep, we got the goods for you for our sophomore episode! We hope you enjoy.
Hey there, Radical folks!
We are now hosting our podcast at Podbean. Exciting news as we prepare to upload our next episode THIS weekend. Yep, the rumours are true… we are actually getting together to record our sophomore edition. Hopefully getting proper hosting will motivate us to get together and do more regular editions and we’ve got lots of topics perculating so get excited for much more of our dulcet tones!
Check out our Podbean site where you can subscribe, listen & download episodes:
You’ll be hearing from us very soon!
Our very first episode is now live! Download below:
Download Episode 1 – Introduction and Eclectic Witchcraft (right click and save)
In this debut cast, we get to know the hosts Eris & Mara, and we talk a little about what our podcast will be about. This episode, our main topic is Eclectic Wicca and Eclectic Witchcraft. What does it mean to be Eclectic, and Pagan? We also have a chat about the current hot topic of ‘Is Paganism Dying’? As well as give some advice to anyone who may be a seeker on the path of Paganism or Witchcraft.
If you’ve got any topics you’d like to see us cover, or any questions at all, let us know in the comments and we’ll address them in future casts.
We hope you enjoy. Stay Sacred, Stay Radical!